Food (Nutrient) For Thought In Children
Have you ever heard the term ‘food for thought’? It means something that should be thought about or considered carefully. Just like the food that you feed to your child, as parents, we should consider and make sure that the child is getting proper nutrients for their brain and eyes which is one of the crucial development during early years in life.
Nutrients plays a key role in making the brain and eyes sharper. Foods that contain taurine, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants are all particularly helpful in boosting brain and eye health.1 These elements are foundational nutrients that may affect numerous cellular and physiological processes associated with growth and development.2
Taurine is an amino acid that is vital in children. Did you know, Taurine can be found in human breast milk? This is because it plays an important role in several essential biological processes such as development of the brain and the retina.3 Taurine is particularly concentrated in the brain, eyes, heart and muscles. Its benefits are so broad and extensive that scientists have described taurine as “a wonder molecule”. Taurine can be found in foods such as eggs, fish, meat, seafood and dairy product.
Another important nutrient in child growth is a type of omega-3 fatty acids called DHA. DHA plays a key role in the structure and function of neural tissues, most notably those of the retina and brain. The amount of DHA intake among children is still considered as low and some studies show improvements in cognition and behavior as the result of supplementation with DHA.4 Some popular sources of DHA includes salmon, sardines, and tuna.
Antioxidants helps to protect the children’s brain from normal wear and tear oxidative damage by free radicals.5 Fruits and vegetables are good sources of antioxidant vitamins, such as vitamin A, C & E. So be sure that your child is taking enough of this superfood to get the antioxidants that they need.
If you find feeding your child with the food rich in brain and eye boosting nutrients mentioned above challenging, try to opt for supplement rich in these nutrients. Appeton Multivitamin Hi-Q Taurine with DHA tablet is the perfect dietary supplement fortified with Taurine, DHA, multivitamins including antioxidants to support eye and brain development for a healthy grow of your children.
- Roberts M, Tolar-Peterson T, Reynolds A, Wall C, Reeder N, Rico Mendez G. The Effects of Nutritional Interventions on the Cognitive Development of Preschool-Age Children: A Systematic Review. Nutrients. 2022 Jan 26;14(3):532. doi: 10.3390/nu14030532. PMID: 35276891; PMCID: PMC8839299.
- Rosales FJ, Reznick JS, Zeisel SH. Understanding the role of nutrition in the brain and behavioral development of toddlers and preschool children: identifying and addressing methodological barriers. Nutr Neurosci. 2009 Oct;12(5):190-202. doi: 10.1179/147683009X423454. PMID: 19761650; PMCID: PMC2776771.
- Ripps H, Shen W. Review: taurine: a "very essential" amino acid. Mol Vis. 2012;18:2673-86. Epub 2012 Nov 12. PMID: 23170060; PMCID: PMC3501277.
- Kuratko CN, Barrett EC, Nelson EB, Salem N Jr. The relationship of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) with learning and behavior in healthy children: a review. Nutrients. 2013 Jul 19;5(7):2777-810. doi: 10.3390/nu5072777. PMID: 23877090; PMCID: PMC3738999.
- Lobo V, Patil A, Phatak A, Chandra N. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: Impact on human health. Pharmacogn Rev. 2010 Jul;4(8):118-26. doi: 10.4103/0973-7847.70902. PMID: 22228951; PMCID: PMC3249911.