Post-Antibiotic Care in Children –
Restoring Appetite & Gut Health
Antibiotics can be a lifesaving treatment for children with bacterial infections and are the most commonly prescribed therapy among all medications given to children.1 Treatment with antibiotics will successfully eliminate the bacteria infection. However, alongside with killing the ‘bad’ bacteria, antibiotic especially the broad spectrum will also kill the ‘good ones’ (normal microbiota) in the gastrointestinal tract.2
Perturbation in the gut microbiota can lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and other effects that will reduce the children’s appetite and results in weight loss. Having a poor gut health has also resulted in other consequences among children include uncomfortable digestion, stomach aches, poor nutrient absorption and poor immunity.3 Therefore, post-antibiotic supportive care is very important in children.
Appeton Multivitamin Lysine with Prebiotics is a dietary supplement fortified with Lysine to improve appetite and Prebiotics to promote healthy gut, especially post-antibiotic treatment.
Lysine is an essential amino acid that has to be obtained through diet or nutrition supplements. It is a crucial component of proteins that play a role in helping stimulate appetite and body tissue growth.4 During post-antibiotic period, lysine supplement will help children to restore their appetite and gain weight.
In order to improve children’s gut health and restore the ‘good’ bacteria damaged by antibiotics, a good general strategy is to feed the gut with foods that will allow it to grow back. The nutrient to do this is called prebiotic.5 Appeton Multivitamin Lysine with Prebiotics is formulated with 2 types of prebiotics Inulin & Oligofructose for a healthy gut in children.
Antibiotic treatment can be incredibly helpful for treating infections in children. As a parent, take note on the signs and symptoms the child might experience and provide supportive care supplement such as Appeton Multivitamin Lysine with Prebiotics so that your child will be back in the pink of health again.
Learn more: Appeton Multivitamin Lysine with Prebiotics Tablet
- Chua KP, Volerman A, Conti RM. Prescription drug dispensing to us children during the COVID-19 pandemic. Pediatrics. 2021;148(2):e2021049972. doi:10.1542/peds.2021-049972
- Isaac, S., Scher, J. U., Djukovic, A., Jiménez, N., Littman, D. R., Abramson, S. B., Pamer, E. G., & Ubeda, C. (2017). Short- and long-term effects of oral vancomycin on the human intestinal microbiota. The Journal of antimicrobial chemotherapy, 72(1), 128–136. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkw383
- The Importance of Good Gut Health in Children, Health & Nutrition, Only About Children. https://www.oac.edu.au/news-views/the-importance-of-good-gut-health-in-children/
- Rizky Maulidiana A, Sutjiati E. Low intake of essential amino acids and other risk factors of stunting among under-five children in Malang City, East Java, Indonesia. J Public Health Res. 2021;10(2):2161. Published 2021 Apr 14. doi:10.4081/jphr.2021.2161
- Markowiak, P., & Śliżewska, K. (2017). Effects of Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Synbiotics on Human Health. Nutrients, 9(9), 1021. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9091021